- Golden Globes: my favourite awards kick off awards season
- Who wore what: Golden Globes 2015
Usually the fashion comes before the ceremony but in my case there’s only one of me and it’s important to have a good look at the pics before you make your final decision.
So, with my Golden Globes hangover here’s my verdict on this year’s Golden Globes fashion.
The thing that annoys me with most Red Carpet critics is the Best Dressed list comprises solely of the “it” actors and actresses. Rarely do partners get on the list or the older women—with the exception of Helen Mirren she always seems to get an honourable mention. No, not mine I choose from everyone I see—that’s what makes me different.
This year I’m loving the winter white and those who dared our un-typically LA tempting possible muddy conditions it paid off. Leading the winter white pack was Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Kate Hudson Felicity Huffman deserves a nod too.
I suppose you can count Sienna Millar in the winter white category but either way she looked good—better if she didn’t plunge that neckline all the way down to her waist but that’s really being picky. Unfortunately Tina Fey didn’t quite pull off her white and black look but who cares? she did such an amazing job presenting she can wear whatever she wants. And, to be fair, she killed it in her tux during the presentation.
Speaking of tuxes Jared Leto did it for me as best dressed for the blokes in his white tux with black highlights. Nice job Jared.
Silver was another common colour and it was great to see. Dakota Johnson sparkled in her silver number and Reese Witherspoon and Diane Kruger looked glamorous as ever. Kate Beckinsale looked radiant and OITNB star Uzo “crazy eyes” Aduba also looked stunning in shimmering silver. Emma Stone rocked it in the pants and silver bodice and Kayte Walsh (who came with Kelsey Grammar looked positively radiantly stunning).
The side cutout was another look this year and no one really managed to pull it off. Ryan Hawke (Ethan’s other half) Katie Cassidy and Rosamund Pike showed us how not to pull off the look. Stand out dress in the side cutout department was Kate Hudson (how on earth did she keep those puppies in her dress all night?
Red was a popular colour with Allison Williams, Taylor Schilling, Helen Mirren (love the Je Suis Charlie accessory), Jane Fonda (ooh la la) and Julianna Margulies (who always looks so stunning but the dress didn’t really sit right for me) going with the colour. But the best dressed in red would have to be Viola Davis—just loved the minimal jewellery, the cut and the silver sparkles—not too much not too little it was just right. And after a disaster look last year it was good to see Lena Dunham looking great in her Zac Posen red number.
In yellow Jenna Dewan-Tatum wins it for me along with Leslie Mann. Everyone picked Naomi Watts and I thought she looked good but the other two looked better.
And there was a lot of rouging! From Amy Adams to Jessica Chastain, Lana Del Ray and Katie Holmes, they all wore it. I like a bit of rouging but I think only Katie Holmes managed to pull it off—yes, even my Red Carpet favourite Amy Adams gets a hmmm vote.
Heidi Klum actually pulled off the rougeing and she rocked it in red.
I have to go there … notable fails. Keira Knightly, what on earth were you thinking? Sack your stylist sweetie that look is not a look at all. I’m so sorry to say but there’s nothing about that dress I can say works. If I’d met you last night I’d have to be careful not to look down. I love you but not last night.
And Melissa McCarthy please please please stop playing the fat card. We love you, you’re funny, you’ve done well against the odds, it’s hard to dress when you’re overweight but plenty of big people can look nice. Embrace your size and set an example about how you can be big and still look smoking. Take a leaf out of OITNB’s Danielle Brooks book and work it! Stylists, please take her on. It’s easy to make a Beyonce or a Kerry Washington hot show us you really have talent by making Melissa McCarthy look good.
And Amelia Warner (with Jamie Dornan) can you please give me a call? That fur fringing really? Actually the whole dress was pretty blah. I hope someone paid you to wear that otherwise it would be totally humiliating. I’m sorry sweetie.
Before I finish I can’t do my critique without mentioning boobies. It seems everyone was keen to show us all as much boob flesh as she could—JLo, Kate Hudson, Katie Cassidy, Sienna Miller had the waistline neckline. There were boobs and plunging necklines all over the shop.
While we’re talking about plunging necklines my mate JLo. Everyone raved about how gorgeous she looked but really? I disagree. I don’t think she rocked it at all—way too much fabric, she didn’t look like she wanted to be there and her face was all scowly. I think I need to send my mate Napoleon Perdis to soften her up and make her look good again.
And finally, cutest couple goes hands down to Ann Faris and Chris Pratt. I love love love Joshua Jackson and Diane Kruger too but I have a soft spot for them.
- Emma Stone (Photo: Jason Merritt/Getty Images via nydailynews.com)
- Viola Davis (Photo: Jason Merritt/Getty Images via nydailynews.com)
- Leslie Mann (Photo: DANNY MOLOSHOK via nydailynews.com)
- Uzo Aduba (Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage via nydailynews.com)
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus (Photo: Jason Merritt/Getty Images via nydailynews.com)
- Selma Hayek (Photo: Jordan Strauss/AP via nydailynews.com)
- Reece Witherspoon (Photo: Jason Merritt/Getty Images via nydailynews.com)
- Kate Beckinsale (Photo: John Shearer/AP via nydailynews.com)
- Danielle Brooks (Photo: Jason Merritt/Getty Images via nydailynews.com)
Who was on my list but then didn’t make the cut (there were simply too many to choose from)?
These aren’t in order–that would be too hard.
- Camille Alves (aka Mrs McConaughey)
- Kate Hudson
- Dakota Johnson
- Allison Janey
- Emmanuelle Chriqui
- Kerry Washington
- Kayte Walsh
- Katie Holmes
- Jenna Dewan-Tatum
- Sienna Miller
- Gina Rodriguez
- Allison Williams
- Quvenzhane Wallis (the girl from Annie)
- Miss Golden Globe 2015 Greer Grammer
Why are the blokes always last? I love that the blokes are branching out from traditional tuxes. Well done boys.
- Jared Leto (Photo: Kevin Winter Getty Images via today.com)
- Matt Bomer (Photo: Getty Images via celebuzz.com)
- Adrien Brody (Image from thefashionisto.com)
Honourable mention to Entourage star Adrian Grenier who looked pretty sexy in a purple tux with black trimmings—those pants fit beautifully.
You think it was hard to choose the hits. Let me tell you there were quite a few misses too. Sadly.
- Zosia Mamet (Photo: Jordan Strauss/AP via nydailynews.com)
- Keira Knightley (Photo: Jason Merritt/Getty Images via nydailynews.com)
- Rosamund Pike (Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage via nydailynews.com)
- Melissa McCarthy (Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage via nydailynews.com)
- Claire Danes (Photo: Jason Merritt/Getty Images via nydailynews.com)
- Jemima Kirke (Photo: Frazer Harrison/Getty Images via nydailynews.com)
- Amelia Warner (Getty Images via celebuzz.com)
- Amanda Peet (Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage via nydailynews.com)
- JLo (Photo: Jason Merritt/Getty Images vianydailynews.com)
If you want to check out some image galleries here you go. These are the sites where I got some of my photos from.
What do you think? Do you agree? Disagree? Anyone I missed out? Did you think JLo looked good? Why? Share here on the comments page or on my Facebook page.
Until next year but thankfully we’ve got a number of awards shows to go. I’ll be at the ACE Awards at the end of the month. Need to shed those kgs and find me a dress to wear.
xx It Started in LA xx